Monday, August 18, 2008

Pirate Thursday at the Cape Hatteras KOA

You really wouldn't believe me if I just told you without a picture, so here is the proof. Cape Hatteras was the final stop for Blackbeard a.k.a. Edward Teach. Pirate stuff is everywhere on this island, as you can imagine. The campground celebrates this just about as well as anyone could: all of the employees dress in ripped KOA shirts and torn pants, bandannas on their heads, lots of "AARrrgghhhs" etc. The big, final showdown is Thursday evening when golf-cart driving swashbucklers hand out bags of balloons to all of the kids. These balloons are to be filled with water and then thrown at the pirate ship, carrying a Blackbeard look-a-like, and is being towed by another golf cart. I was making dinner at the camper and chatting with my mother-in-law when I saw all of this taking place. I know I must have sounded like an idiot when I said, "Kay, a pirate ship is being pulled by a golf cart...I gotta go!"

No comments: